They say fall armyworm is here to stay, so we need to know how to stay with them.
|Agricultural resources to promote and improve your farms and agribusinesses.|
This is a video illustration of how to scout and identify fall armyworm in your maize farms. It shows how the fall armyworm operates and destroys your crops and how you can practically control or manage them.
Key points to note on how to scout and identify fall armyworm
- Scout for the fall armyworm and treat your plants immediately after the maize crop emerges.
- Learn the correct way and pattern to scout fall armyworm on your field.
- If you are unsure about the way to control the pest, contact the experts or the local extension agent.
- If needed, treat with environmentally safe and approved chemical, long before the maize is shoulder high.
- Armyworms are active at night and very early morning.
- Their damages are visible. Look out for damage on the leaves.
- Fall armyworm goes through various stages in growth. They cause damage at the larvae stage.
- The best way to control the pest is by using integrated pest management.
- Do not enter the maize field after it has been sprayed with chemical pesticide.